SEO: The Magic 6Leverage your search engine optimization by adding keywords and keyword phrases across the "magic 6" elements: url, title, keywords, description, Hx elements, and page content.
1. SEO URLThe url includes the domain name AND the page name. If you are optimizing for the words "jay" and "johnston", purchasing the domain name jay-johnston.com is the first step.
As you create each page in the site, continue the url optimizing effort, for instance: "action001a32.html" is poorly optimized for a page that is about business goals and generating momentum.
The page name "set-and-achieve-business-goals-to-generate-momentum.html" is slightly more optimized. "jay-johnston/business-goals/set-and-achieve-business-goals-to-generate-momentum.html" is fully optimized.
2. SEO TitleThe title should include two or three keywords and keyword phrases that are also evident across the magic 6 seo elements.
Extending the SEO URL example, the appropriate title, perhaps, could be: "Set and Achieve Business Goals to Generate Momentum - Business Goals - Jay Johnston". (Note how we try to include the entire site's keywords wherever possible, in addition to the specific page keywords).
3. SEO Keywords3. The keywords are an interesting topic of debate in most search engine optimization discussions. Google claims to no longer use them. Jay Johnston believes that they should still be included.
SEO Articles across the Internet argue about the exact number of keywords and key phrases that should be included.
Whatever...just stick some in, but be sure to (a) include ONLY words that are found in your content and (b) do NOT forget to include the two or three keywords that are earmarked for the magic 6!
4. SEO DescriptionThe description is visible along with the title in most search engine search results. Make it (a) include your key words and (b) grab the user and most importantly (c) VERY relevant to content near the top of your page.
Remember that brevity is king here. Unlike the elevator where you get 60 seconds to market a lifetime of work, in the SEO Description meta tag, you only get about 10 words.
5. Hx (Header) Tags5. Hx is a way, albeit a poor way, to represent the gamut of HTML header tags: H1, h3, H3, H4, H5 and H6.
Only use H1 through H3 unless you actually have content rivaling the complexity of an encyclopedia article.
Always use HTML header tags as if you were outlining (like in 5th grade where students prepared the main points behind an essay). In fact, before creating the content, outline like in 5th grade where students prepared the main points before writing anything.
Wherever possible, utilize the H1 only ONCE:
and then "h3" each of your points:
. H3 any sub point to the h3's.
<h3>My First Point</h3>
Piece of cake, eh? Don't forget to get your keywords into the H1 of this member of the magic 6.
6. Page ContentThe page content is easy now that the other magic 5 are done! Always write fluidly, but with exercise an annoying penchant for saying things like: Building business momentum for momentum's sake in business, can cause the type of momentum in your business that is seen by other businesses as the momentum that they seek for their business momentum which will be a momentum that carries your business farther.
Last Updated: 2009-02-07 08:25:24